Animal Bites

What happens if my animal bites someone?

All animal bites are to be reported to the police. If you or any family member are bitten, or if your animal has bitten someone, call the Rantoul Police Department immediately.

This is a matter of public health and enforcement of these regulations is the responsibility of Animal Control.

Any animal that bites someone must be placed in quarantine for a 10-day period and cannot be removed from the village unless permission is granted by Animal Control during this period. An animal control officer will respond to complete the paperwork. If medical treatment is required, the doctor or hospital providing the treatment should report the incident.

Every attempt should be made to identify the animal so the owner can be contacted and the necessary paperwork completed. If a wild animal is involved and cannot be located, you will be advised by Animal Control to determine what treatment is necessary.